Protein Spiking: What Does it Mean for You?

Consumers want and deserve to know what they are ingesting now more than ever. This has become evident in one the most recent scandals to hit the industry this past few months with many companies being found to have spiked their protein supplements with amino acids to raise the protein content without raising their costs.

 

So, what is protein spiking?

Protein spiking is also known as nitrogen or amino spiking. It is the practice where a company adds amino acids which cost a lot less than the base protein in to their mix to increase the nitrogen content. This essentially raises the base protein value of the product with a lower cost. The end result is a product that does not deliver the amount of protein the label claims and the consumer feels cheated.

This may not sound that bad at first, but the issue is that some company’s protein content has been spiked up to 50% of their entire protein value. This essentially could affect how your diet works as you are expecting to buy what is on the label. It also becomes an issue of value when you are not receiving what you are paying for.

 

How do you figure out the protein content of a product?

When trying to figure out how much of the actual product you’re purchasing, you can use this quick equation. This math equation divides it by the grams of the protein content by the total grams of the serving (listed on the top of the label after serving size – usually in grams).

Protein grams / serving size grams = actual protein content

 

What is normal in most products?

The protein content for many products being sold now is on average around 75% – 80%. That means that with each scoop of the protein powder you’re ingesting about 75% – 80% of actual protein. The other 20% is usually a mix of flavoring and ingredients to keep the protein fresh and from clumping.

 

How do many brands stack up against others?

A lab test that was done by the South African pharmacy company Dischem showed that many companies are as much as 40% off from their claims in protein value of their products. There is always a question on the results as chain of custody and accuracy of testing can be questioned. Some of these popular brands included that did not meet label claims are:

 

BPI Whey HD – 44.38% less than label claims
MHP up your mass – 19.34% less than label claims
Weider 100% whey isolate – 12.94 less than label claims

 

Where does SizeSlim Whey Isolate come in with total protein content against other proteins in its category?

The industry average is 75% – 80% and SizeSlim Whey Isolate came in at 79% overall protein content.

 

Here is the content of a few other popular brands:
Pro Jym by Jym – Came in at 59% overall protein content
ON gold standard – Came in at 77% overall protein content
Mutant Pro 100 – Came in at 69% overall protein content
Animal Whey by Universal –  Came in at 74% overall protein content

 

What should I do when looking at purchasing a protein powder?

Brand: Find a brand you can trust. Watch the internet news for spiking cases and information about the brand and their practices.

Numbers: Do the math so you can see how much true protein is in each scoop of the brand you’re looking at. If it does not have the average or better or does not meet the label claims rethink the purchase.

Research: Do your research. The best thing you can do for yourself is to be an educates consumer. If you research the products and brands that you are purchasing, you are sure to get what you need out of each product that you buy. 

Remember, knowledge is power. Buying supplements can be confusing enough. By educating yourself on topic like this you can make sure that you are utilizing top quality products in your regime. Finding the right products for you and your routine can put you even closer to achieving your fitness goals!

Leave a comment